First Aid for Accidents and Injuries In Houston
Anything can be a poison. Toxins are in our food, in our home cleaning supplies, outside at school or at work. This section will cover not only poisonings from chemicals and like substances but also some illnesses that could be considered emergency circumstances.
Part 3- What to do for Poison Accidents
If you suspect that someone has been poisoned, check to see if the person feels:
- Drowsy or is unconscious
- Having difficulty breathing or has stopped breathing
- Uncontrollably restless or agitated
- Having seizures
- Known to have taken medications, or any other substance, intentionally or accidentally overdosed
- Call 911 or your local emergency number immediately.
- Stable and have no symptoms
- The person is going to be transported to the local emergency department
- If the individual collapses, has a seizure, has trouble breathing, or can’t be awakened: Call 911 immediately
If the product swallowed is burning, irritating or caustic and the person is conscious, not having convulsions, and able to swallow,
- Have them drink a small amount of water or milk immediately, before getting Poison Control assistance,
- Then use webPOISONCONTROL to get specific recommendations online or call 1-800-222-1222 to reach Poison Control by phone.
Poison in the eye
It’s important that you irrigate (rinse the exposed eyes) immediately.
- Remove contact lenses.
- Use lots of room temperature water and irrigate for at least 15 to 20 minutes.
- Let water from the faucet in the kitchen sink run over the eye – or slowly pour water from a pitcher.
- Let the water hit the bridge of the nose and gently run into the eyes rather than pouring the water directly into the eye.
- Irrigate for at least 15 to 20 minutes. Encourage blinking.
Let the eye rest while you call Poison Control for additional help. If irritation, pain, visual problems, redness, swelling, or tearing persist an hour after irrigation is started, you’ll need to go to the emergency room right away, unless an eye doctor can see you immediately. If the symptoms are severe, don’t wait an hour – go straight to an emergency room after irrigating.
Poisons on the skin
- It’s important that you rinse the exposed skin immediately but remove contaminated clothing first
- Use lots of room temperature running water and rinse for at least 15 minutes.
- Mild hand soap can be used to remove material that sticks to the skin.
- After the 15 minute rinse, call Poison Control for additional guidance.
- If blistering, large or deep burns, pain, redness, or swelling worsen or persist, you will need to see a doctor or the emergency room. If the symptoms are severe, go straight to an emergency room after rinsing. Don’t wait.
If you’ve had any encounter with a poison, especially with children, make sure you don’t wait. Get down to Angels Medical where there is no appointment necessary to see a doctor. Again, if the symptoms are serious, don’t stop here at Urgent Care, go straight to the ER.
Don’t miss our next article: First Aid for Accidents and Injuries In Houston Part 4- How to Treat an Allergic Reaction